Sunday, January 22, 2012

Making Your Own Baby Food!

Making your own baby food doesn't take much time and gives you a sense of pride that you are feeding your little one the very best.  Honestly, in the time it could take you to watch an episode of The Real Housewives of (fill in city/state here), you could make enough baby food for the whole week.  Cooking options vary too so you could have one food item steaming and something else baking at the same time.  


The internet offers tons of websites with recipes.  Two of my favorite sites are below:


www.wholesomebabyfood.com
www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com


One thing to keep in mind when buying groceries to make that baby food is the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen.  This is a list of produce that will help you determine which fruits and vegetables have the most pesticide residues and are the most important to buy organic.  Here is the list of the Dirty Dozen (and the site for your reference www.ewg.org):


Dirty Dozen

Buy these organic
1
Apple
Apples
2
Celery
Celery
3
Strawberries
Strawberries
4
Peaches
Peaches
5
Spinach
Spinach
6
Nectarines
Nectarines
– imported
7
Grapes
Grapes – imported
8
Red Pepper
Sweet bell peppers
9
Potatoe
Potatoes
10
Blueberries
Blueberries
– domestic
11
Lettuce
Lettuce
12
Kale
Kale/collard greens



Do you have any other baby food recipe sites to recommend?

6 comments:

  1. That list is very helpful. Since buying organic is a bit more expensive it's good to know what is most important to buy organic and what I can pass on if I have too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Diana. Organic bananas at Shoprite last week were $1.24 each. I thought they were nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Danielle for posting those recipes. Also thank you for posting that list of dirty fruit. This can also help me chose what I want to buy organically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved making baby food.
    Stopping by to show some love from WBC commentLuv blog Hop. http://kati-saves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make my babies food when my children were little.
    Stopping by from WBC comment Luv blog Hop.
    http://newyearsresolutionexercise.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-make-money-every-time-someone-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited last week from WBC. I may have already said it but just in case I didn't, I love your background.

    ReplyDelete