Saturday, January 7, 2012

Some Cloth Diaper Inspiration

I recently was talking to someone about cloth diapering and they asked me if I knew anyone else who cloth diapered, anyone who explained to me it was an option.  I told her that I only read about it online but didn't know anyone who did it when I started.  HOWEVER, I'm proud to say that I've convinced at least one person since my daughter was born that it's an option and she is now cloth diapering her twins - success!  I thought I'd share some of my cloth diapering advice obtained through my hours (more like days and days) of analyzing the idea on the internet.  


My favorite Cloth Diapers are: Rumparooz (a US company started by a WAHM) and Kawaii's (nice and cheap).  Although, I do have a bunch of others I like too: BumGenius (because they aren't very bulky) and BabyKicks (organic and very absorbant but take longer to dry).  

There are many different options when it comes to the type of cloth diaper you choose (pre-folds, All-In-Ones, Pocket Diapers and more).  I have chosen to go with the One Size Pocket Diapers which in my opinion are pretty easy (meaning YOU CAN DO IT!).  For this type you essentially put an insert in a pocket.  You have to take the inserts out every time you wash them and once they come out of dryer or off the clothes line put the inserts back in the pocket.  

You'll need a small wet bag for your diaper bag to put soiled diapes in when traveling about.  They usually can fit two diapers so if you plan to be out for a long time get two.  You will also need a big wet bag to store the diapes between washes.  This is the one I have and it works great: http://www.kellyscloset.com/RumparoozKanga-Care-Wet-Bags_p_4173.html  

Additionally, a diaper sprayer is required (I have the BumGenius one).  It basically works like a removable shower head sprayer.  There's no dunking the diaper in the toilet anymore folks (it is 2012 after all).  Just spray the soiled diaper into the toilet and you only have to rinse those with brown/green surprises.  

Now what kind of detergent does one use for cloth diapers.  I've read about a bunch of different kinds but I use Rocking Green http://rockingreensoap.com/  I can also give you details on stripping diapers in a future post, message or comment if you need advice sooner then later!  The other wonderful thing I've learned from cloth diapers: wait for it, wait for it... The bleaching power of the sun!!!  If the inside of the diapers come out of the wash with a little stain, sit them in the sun for an hour or so and the stain will completely disappear; it is AMAZING!  

Now, who's going to try it!

2 comments:

  1. wish I knew about the sprayer... couldn't convince Len to do it because of the toilet dunking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds easier than I would have thought :)

    ReplyDelete